Thursday, August 27, 2026

Setting a novel aside

I've been working on a new novel for a while now, and I have reluctantly decided that I need to set it aside, at least for now. The further I've gotten into the novel, the more I've realized that it's progressing in far too linear of a format. The book is way too predictable, and I've made it too obvious as to where everything is going. And since I can't figure out how to fix it at the moment, I've decided it's best to just stop working on it.

Not to worry, however, I am now working on a sequel to A Problem in Translation. I'm currently rereading the original book so that I can get to know the characters again, since it's been a long time since I've worked with them.

This means that the amazingly annoying Lemec will be making a return, and everyone's favorite Kulnar, Grisan will also be coming back. There will be all new worlds to explore, and a few new alien species will also be on display. And, of course, the humans you all knew and loved...or hated will also be there. No Senator Washburn this time though, but maybe I need to come up with another annoying and dangerous politician...there are definitely enough examples to draw upon.

Obviously, since I've just started work, I'm not sure when the novel will be ready, especially since this one, like the original will have world building that requires math. Yes, science fiction authors actually do use math to create their worlds...at least this one does, because I need them to be believable.


No comments: