Saturday, August 22, 2026

Authors are not their characters

While it is true that authors may include parts of themselves (or others) in their characters, it should never be assumed that their characters are actually portrayals of some part of their personality. Unfortunately, I see many readers saying that an author has a racist, or sexist, or whatever character, therefore they must be racist, sexist, etc. No, this isn't the case. Authors use all kinds of characters, even some that are the antithesis of their own belief systems, but many readers still want to say that a racist (or whatever) character means that the author HAS to be this way.

I will freely admit that there are a lot of really crappy people among authors, even in speculative fiction, which is usually one of the most inclusive genres (or groups of genres), but we can just leave them to the side for now...and we all know who they are. This doesn't mean that all speculative authors are like this, even the ones that include prejudiced characters.

If I have a story in which my character is expressing homophobic or transphobic ideas, this doesn't mean that those are my views, especially if the character is the antagonist, although I have seen some examples of protagonists that have similar views, but they usually overcome them, which is a big part of the story. I will include characters, especially antagonists, that have some truly horrible views of a marginalized group or groups, but I'm usually doing this to cast them in a bad light, or to give my protagonist one more reason to "defeat" them.

The idea of saying an author is expressing their own views in their characters seems to be a more recent development, and it's one I don't understand. I've known authors that have created characters that truly hated non-white men, but the authors themselves were some of the most wonderful people I've ever met, even the white men! (Just kidding)

I often write characters that express racism, or some other form of prejudice, but I don't agree with these characters. It's more of a political commentary, and I think it's a great way to comment on our screwed up society. I, personally, have never received this kind of backlash, probably because I'm pretty small time, but I have seen others get attacked for things I know they don't believe. Please, do not automatically ascribe a character's viewpoint to the author. They aren't usually the same.

Again, I know that there are some truly horrible people writing science fiction and fantasy, even bestsellers, that use the money they make to attack the marginalized, and I think this is absolutely horrible. Not all of us are doing this however. Personally, I use characters that attack the marginalized in an effort to bring awareness of these kinds of attacks to light, and to try to show that it doesn't matter what a person's skin color is, or what their religious beliefs are, or what their sexual orientation is, or how they identify sexually, or if they are disabled, or whatever. We're all people, and that's what matters. So, please please please make sure you know what an author truly believes before you attack them for having a despicable character. While that could be a part of their personality, most often, it's not.

End of rant


No comments: