Monday, September 10, 2007

Rendezvous With Rama

Sorry, Jim, I know how much you hate YouTube videos in blogs, but I just had to post this one.

For a long time, there's been talking of making Arthur C. Clarke's novel Rendezvous with Rama into a film. Morgan Freeman has been the one doing most of the work in trying to get this done, and I'd love to see it happen. I always thought that Clarke was a brilliant short story writer, but most of his novels were just good, but not great. Rendezvous with Rama was the one exception. It was an amazing novel.

If it's ever made into a film, it would be much like 2001: A Space Odyssey in that it would be a much more intellectual movie than most of what Hollywood makes. There are three reasons why I think that's great. 1) I'd actually like to see more intellectual films coming out of Hollywood. 2) Since I first read the book, I've always wanted to see a movie based on it. 3) If it were successful, Hollywood might want to make more movies of this ilk, and that might be just the motivation I need to finish the screenplay I've been working on off and on for a few months now.

Now, back to the whole YouTube video thing. Here is a short film made by a film student named Aaron Ross. It's great, and it just starts to capture the brilliance of the novel...

No comments: