Tuesday, August 01, 2006

MTV is 25

Wow...that makes me feel old. I remember when MTV first started. A neighbor of mine had cable, and I can remember going over to her house and watching this new thing. I don't think any of us really knew what we were seeing...we were just kids after all. But we did know that it was quite addictive. Some of the younger readers may find it strange that we didn't have cable, but 25 years ago cable was nothing like it was today. You only got a few extra channels, and the programming was pretty bad...not that it's improved that much...just look at the crap the SciFi channel runs. Cable was a luxury in those days, and for a family that really didn't watch much TV, it wasn't worth it...although it wasn't long before we did get it.

Anyway, today VH1 Classic is running the entire first day of MTV's first day, and boy does it take me back. I remember a lot of these songs and videos, and I wish I could forget most of them...still it's nice to have a little walk down nostalgia lane.

But, damn, I feel old...

4 comments:

Spencer said...

J...now you're starting to reminisce like an old man LOL okay, here's my nostalgia...i can't it has been twenty years since i saw Metallica (w/ a living Cliff Burton) open for Ozzy. i'm just glad we've aged more gracefully than they (have). i just wish we were 1/10 as rich...

J Alan Erwine said...

I had to buy a wrist rest for my keyboard because all of the typing I've been doing has been causing hand and wrist pain...

...NOW I FEEL OLD!

Christin said...

I love VH1 classics...just wish I was able to indulge in this "non-luxury" that is cable.

You are old J! J/K MTV is older than I am...but only by a year...happy 24th birthday to me in 13 days! I dont remember watching mtv untill I was in middle school though, my parents would not let me watch it :(

J Alan Erwine said...

It's not the years...it's the miles...and Subway put a lot of miles on me...