Friday, November 20, 2015

My thoughts on NaNoWriMo

As an author, I've always thought that NaNoWriMo would be an interesting challenge.  I'd love to write a novel in a month, but the simple truth is that I just don't have enough writing time in my life now to really take on such a challenge.  I don't get to write every day like I would like to because of responsibility or overwhelming noise.  It's my hope that when the little one starts school next year, I'll have more opportunities to write, but that's still a long way off.
As an editor, I dread NaNoWriMo.  Many authors seem to believe that writing the novel is all they have to do.  A lot of authors don't realize that writing is as much about rewriting as it is about writing.  When I've written a novel, I've spent about the same amount of time rewriting the book as I did writing it in the first place.  Many novice authors finish their NaNoWriMo project and then immediately begin to submit it.  There aren't many authors that can pull off a masterpiece with their rough draft, but come December, January, and February, I start seeing a lot of submissions that are obviously rough drafts.  Even worse, many authors self-publish these rough drafts, watering down the market with works that don't deserve publication...yet...
So, basically I have very mixed feelings about NaNoWriMo, but I think I would like to try it some year...

No comments: