Monday, March 10, 2014

The new Cosmos

I watched the new Cosmos series last night.  I have to admit that being a huge fan of the original series, I was a bit skeptical about this one.  After watching the first episode, I'd have to say that I'm not as skeptical as I was, but I'm also not completely sold on it either.  I liked that they made it different enough from the first series that it didn't seem like a rehashing of that series.  I also liked that they paid tribute to the original series, especially showing Carl Sagan's planner with the name Neil Tyson on one of the Saturdays...it was a nice way to show some continuity.
Will this show be able to live up to what the original series did?  It's hard to say.  The original series had a huge impact on a lot of people, especially me.  I was only ten at the time, and fascinated by science, so this hit me at the perfect time.  That's a little hard for the new series to live up to.
Thinking back to the first series, the first episode was a little slow, just like the new series...more of a tease for both than an actual episode.  Suffice it to say that I will tune in next week, and hopefully this one will pull me in like the original did.

No comments: