Sunday, December 09, 2012

Come on people

We just got through all of the election nonsense, which I thought had brought out the worst in people, but the holidays seem to make people behave in some crazy ways.  I'm not talking about the belligerent customers you have to deal with while shopping.  I'm talking about the whole Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas nonsense.
Christians feel that there's an attack on Christmas because non-Christians and Atheists want to use Happy Holidays because, well, they don't believe in Christ.  And non-Christians and Atheists don't want to be told Merry Christmas because, well, they don't believe in Christ.
To me, it's all insanity.  Why do we have to spend so much time looking into the underlying meaning of what someone is trying to say, rather than accepting the intent behind the message, which is usually, hey, hope you have a great day and life.  We're so caught up in distrusting people that we don't realize that people are just trying to be nice.  Why not let them be nice?
I, myself, am a staunch Atheist.  I don't feel like maybe there's a God, no, I don't believe at all.  But if you believe in God, and you want to wish me a Merry Christmas, then by all means, go ahead, and I'll wish you one too.  If I do something nice for someone, and they say God Bless You.  I don't look at it as them trying to push their religion on me.  No, I look at it as them thanking me in their own way.  Even if I don't agree with their belief system, it doesn't mean that I can't accept the sentiment of gratitude.
Everyone needs to loosen up and stop worrying about what someone might mean by what they're saying.  Yes, there are some people that are trying to push their beliefs on you, but the majority of people saying Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays are just trying to be nice.  There's so little niceness left in the world, let's let them be nice and get over ourselves.

So, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or Happy Whatever You Want to Believe and Celebrate.  I hope whatever you believe in and celebrate at this time of year will bring you a great deal of happiness.

No comments: