Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's wrong with Ephemeris

I recently got an e-mail from someone (who shall remain nameless) telling me what's wrong with Ephemeris. For those of you that are new to this blog, Ephemeris is a science fiction RPG that I'm the co-designer of.

According to this fellow, the problem with the game is that it doesn't have rigidly defined rules. Instead, a lot of the game play is supposed to be created by the players and the game master. Apparently, I don't know much about gaming because that's what an RPG is to me. When we created the game, we wanted something that was going to have a wide open playing style, much like the original and the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons games. We didn't want to tell you exactly how to play the game, but apparently that was what this guy wanted. Sorry.

We wanted a system that would allow you to create your own campaigns, and given that the setting is the galaxy, well, there should be a lot you can do with that.

I think that's one of the problems I've had with a lot of the newer games, they're too rigidly defined, but maybe that's just me...

No comments: