Monday, November 07, 2005

Henry Rollins

Saturday night I went up to Boulder to see Henry Rollins. For those of you who don't know who he is, he was in the bands Black Flag and The Rollins Band. That was where I knew him from. I had no idea he did Spoken Word tours, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm always up for something new, so I decided to go.

If you haven't seen him, I would most certainly recommend going to one of these shows, unless you're a conservative...then you might want to stay home.

He certainly didn't fit the stereotype for a "rock star," although there was quite a bit of angst!!! He was very articulate and well read, and like most "intelligent" people I've met, he realized that there's a lot more out there than any of us could ever hope to know...and thus we don't know all that much. Maybe it's easier to be ignorant.

A friend of mine once gave me an analogy about intelligence. I'm not sure if it was his, but we'll give him the credit...so this one's from Andy...

Intelligence is like a balloon. The volume of the balloon is what you know, and the surface area of the balloon is what you realize you don't know...thus the more you learn in life, the more you realize there is to learn...could be depressing because we can never actually know all that we want to know...which is what I want.

Anyway, I digress. If you get an opportunity to see Rollins, go...you won't regret it. However, getting home at midnight when you have to be at work at 5:00 AM the next morning is not something I would recommend...I was a walking coma patient all day long...but again, it was worth it.

No comments: