Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

I just wanted to pop in and wish all of my readers in America a Happy Thanksgiving! At our home, we're just going to have a small gathering. It will just be Rebecca, the girls, probably her brother, and me obviously. We'll be doing a small turkey and a ham, as well as potatoes, corn, and most of the other traditional Thanksgiving foods.
Rebecca bought a holiday cookbook a couple of months ago, and we're starting a tradition where each Thanksgiving two of us will pick something, and on Christmas the other two will pick something. This Thanksgiving, it's my turn as well as the oldest's turn. For some unfathomable reason (at least to me), the oldest picked shrimp cocktail...I will of course not be indulging in that. I, on the other hand, picked a chocolate cheesecake, which should not come as a surprise to anyone that knows me.
One thing we're going to do that would fall more into the non-traditional foods would be that I'm going to be making my Chickasaw Frybread.
I think it's important that while we're all celebrating what we're thankful for that we keep the Native Americans in our minds. Of all of the racial groups in the US, they've really gotten screwed the most, and Thanksgiving is a reminder of that, so please take a moment to remember the tragedy that has been perpetuated in the name of America on the original inhabitants of this continent.

No comments: