Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ken Rand

Back when I first started out this crazy endeavor of writing, I was published in several ProMart magazines. Around the same time, there was a guy named Ken Rand who was also being published alongside me. When I became an editor for ProMart, I had the pleasure of publishing Ken several times...often joking with him that his stuff was too good for what I was editing...and in some ways that was true.

Over the last few years, we've exchanged an occasional e-mail, posted on each other's LiveJournal from time to time...but overall we didn't keep in touch like we should.

I've just learned that Ken passed away yesterday. He'd been sick for a long time, and he often talked about the fact that he was outliving any of his own expectations for his health, but I guess his illness finally became too much for him. All I know is that I wished I would have kept in touch with him more than I did.

You'll be missed Ken. You were a great writing talent, but more importantly, you were a great guy...

1 comment:

Peter said...

J Alan-

(Sorry to leave this as a comment on your blog -- I couldn't find your email address anywhere on your blog.)

I was hoping I could prevail upon you and your science fiction experience.

I run a website called Flashlight Worthy. It's topical/themed lists of highly recommended books. (books so good, they'll keep you up past your bedtime.)

I've recently decided that instead of displaying the Amazon descriptions of books (which they make available through their developer tools) I'd like shorter, original descriptions.

While I've written many of them myself, there are a number of books I simply haven't read. (Why recommend a book I haven't read? One example would be a list of Hugo winners. I haven't read them all -- but I have faith they're all at the top of the curve.)

Anyway, that's where you come in -- if you has a few minutes to spare, may I ask you to take a look at my list of undescribed Sci-Fi (and Fantasy) books and describe a few? The list is here:

http://bit.ly/SciFiBooks

...once you click it should be self-explanatory.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you have any questions.

Peter
(The guy who came up with Flashlight Worthy)
http://www.FlashlightWorthyBooks.com
Recommending books so good, they'll keep you up past your bedtime. ;)

P.S. While I have your attention, I wonder if you'd be interested in contributing a list to Flashlight Worthy? You're clearly absurdly well-read -- I think you'd have a unique perspective. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the guidelines. You can email me at info@flashlightworthy.com