Saturday, December 20, 2008

A blog about writing...believe it or not

Other than the people who personally know me, I think most of the visitors to my blogs are interested in my posts about writing...either because they've read my work, or because they're considering reading my work. For those people, the last several entries probably weren't that interesting...so now I'm going to talk about writing.

The idea for the next novel (it better be at least 80,000 words) is formulating itself in my mind. It's going to be a space opera, with hyperspace, traders, and maybe even a war thrown in. Not exactly pure science fiction, but the ideas coming to me sound like they'll be fun to write...and hopefully fun to read. In some ways, the book seems like it would fit well with Ephemeris, the RPG I'm currently working on. I don't know if I'll write it as an Ephemeris novel, or as a more general novel. Once I start doing some outlining, I'll probably have a better idea.

I have a small press publisher who might be interested in my long novella, Red Moon Rising. I say might because they want some changes made to it. The changes, however, are stylistic in nature, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to make them, since it might change my "voice" in the story. Something for me to think about...

2 comments:

Keith said...

Military SF sells.

I wrote a post recently about a military SF series that I claimed was not SF at all, but 18th century sea adventure with blasters instead of cannons.

I think that a true SF story with military elements would make for a better novel and yet still fit into a niche so that publishers will be interested.

As long as 1) the science and technology becomes almost as important as a character, and 2) the story is imbued with a 'sense of wonder' then I will read it.

Babes with brass brassieres also help move the plot along.

Get writing!

Keith said...

As far as blogging about writing goes.

I do not know any Spec Fic writers personally. The one guy that I hung out with moved away. The only discussion about writing occurs on my blog and the half dozen sf blogs that I check regularly.

I don't write as much as I used to. My boss has gotten a little intense about managing me, so I can't slip in much writing at work. Also, there is no one to share the experience with.

I hope that you post a daily progress with your writing problems and successes. It might keep me on track and maybe it will inspire me to finish a few of those half written stories in my WIP folder.