Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Anthology Builder

I'd read about the site Anthology Builder on several blogs, and I've finally had a chance to check it out for myself. The basic idea behind the site is that a reader can go there and chose from a variety of stories and build their own anthology, which comes to them as a print trade paperback. I think it's a great utilization of POD technology.

For a reader, they can pick and chose exactly what they want to read. They can chose from established writers and newer writers, thus trying out a new author without having to pick up an entire anthology from that person.

For writers, it's yet another way to expose people to your writing. The royalties aren't great, so if you're hoping to get rich from this site, it's not going to happen...but then most of us that write really aren't hoping to get rich...we're a little too realistic for that. Still, if someone happens to pick one of your stories, and they like it, they may pick up one of your books...exposure is great.

With all of this in mind, I sent them my story "The Galton Principle," and they've accepted it, so you can now build an anthology with one of my stories. What could be better than picking that story from Poe that you like so much, and including "The Galton Principle" as well. Like I said, it's a way to try and get more exposure.

Over the next few days, I'm going to send them some more of my stuff...maybe they'll want to include that as well.

For now, check out the site...then build your own anthology featuring some of my stories...

3 comments:

Cellophane Queen said...

Methinks if there's no drool on the submission, you're in. Still, I think this is a cool idea and the number of stories is growing all the time. I'm almost ready to build my own anthology. I'll see if I can find enough from people I know to get a whole book.

By the way, I've got a story up there, too. "If You Could See Her" is in the romance section, but it's not gooey or stupid. Sweet is the term most often used to describe it. It's a reprint from the now defunct The Deepening.

Keith said...

Let us know if and when you get any sales. I blogged about the place, too. Unfortunately there is not much of a market for short fiction. There are more than enough free sources of good short stories. I don't think that the place will ever be a hit.

Have you tried to publish one of your books on Amazon Kindle, yet?

J Alan Erwine said...

Looking into Kindle is something on my to-do list, but that list is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long right now. Hopefully I'll have time in the next week or two.