Friday, November 16, 2007

Cover art

Still talking about the new collection here. We've been discussing cover art with the artist, Laura Givens, who will be doing the new cover. Laura did the cover for The Opium of the People, and she had a suggestion for the new cover. In the past, I've done some "modeling" for her, and she suggested using something with me for the cover.

In some ways, I liked this idea, especially with the way she presented it, but at the same time, it seems like the height of arrogance to put yourself on the cover of your own book! What do you think.

I've also been looking at her space art, and I really love it, and I'm thinking I might want to use something like that. You can check out her work at http://www.lauragivens-artist.com/.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on all of this...thanks for reading...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, J,

Using one Laura's portraits of you for the cover art is an interesting idea, but I understand your misgivings. Speaking personally, you've never once come across as an arrogant or vain man, but to those who don't know you it could send a mixed message.

However, I guess it depends on what kind of portrait is used. If it's not immediately obvious that it is of you, and you don't announce that it is, then it would be a cool thing to do. Especially, if at some later date, fans and readers discovered the truth behind the portrait.

For an example, I remember buying David Bowie's "Outside" album. I liked the cover art, but didn't pay much mind to it. Until, that is, much later I discovered that it was actually a Bowie self-portrait. Of course, I rushed to the album, took a closer look at the cover, and found that the image did indeed resemble Bowie. How speldidly cool, I thought.

I'm waffling, but I hope it gives you more to think about.

Ed