Monday, October 22, 2007

Tomorrow Night

Tomorrow night at this time I'll be on my way to downtown Denver for the Henry Rollins spoken word show. I found a great clip from his show on IFC where he talks about re-writing history.



I think it's certainly true that we've done our best to re-write history throughout, well, throughout history. Even when I was a kid, I can remember people referring to Indians as savages, and even though I'm starting to gray a bit, it really wasn't that long ago. They've been savages, noble savages, victims, it all depends on what time in history you're hearing the facts. Although I think this is one we can agree on...they were definitely victims, and most of them continue to be victims. This is actually an underlying subplot in the novel I'm working on.

Because the Soviets were our allies in WWII, Russia is often portrayed as being a paradise under Stalin, when in truth, Stalin was almost as brutal as Hitler...we just can't look at it that way because we were working with him. It's kind of like how Hussein was our buddy during the Iran-Iraq War, but then he became a brutal dictator and a supporter of terrorism with huge stockpiles of WMDS...sorry, getting off course.

History is written by the victors they say, and I guess history is re-written by whoever is in power. It will be interesting to see how history portrays Bush and his cronies. Hopefully they'll be portrayed as the criminals that they are.

No comments: