Monday, October 22, 2007

Over 40,000

I broke through the 40,000 word mark on the novel. In theory, this should mean that I'm half way through this beast, but the truth is, I'm well past the middle of the book...which is going to lead to some problems. It's very difficult for me to imagine pulling another 40,000 words out before the end.

My main character has already begun to undergo his transformation. At the beginning of the book, he's a sniveling little shit that most people will feel sorry for at first, and then they'll just want to slap him and tell him to grow up. At least that's what I'm going for. However, he is now starting to get through his grief, and starting to stand up for the things he believes in. For this to be realistic with the conclusion I have in mind, he has to do his thing here really soon, otherwise it will just be him being strong, and people will wonder why he still isn't doing anything to change his life.

Another character has just gone through a major trauma that puts her clearly on the path I need her to be on...something she was kind of refusing to do for a long time...so she's going through the change she has to go through.

So, pulling out another 40,000 words will be difficult. The only solution I can see is that when I go back to do the first re-writes, I will have to add some scenes earlier in the book. I can already see one of them, but I really have no idea what else I can do to expand it.

As well as this novel has been flowing out of me, I have a feeling the solutions will present themselves clearly to me when I begin to look for them.

No comments: