Saturday, September 22, 2007

Writing again

Since returning to the horrible "real" job, I've had a lot of trouble writing. I can honestly say that other than the occasional ranting blog, I haven't done any real writing in months, but that all came to an end tonight.

Many many years ago, I wrote what I guess would be considered a novella about a young man struggling with the death of his brother, and struggling with the environmental damage of the world around him. I can honestly say that it was some of the worst writing I've ever done...absolutely horrible!

However, I was always attracted to the story, and I thought there were some good characters in it...especially a secondary character who was an Indian and environmental activist. I honestly think that this character was the best character I've ever created. Ever since I went to Taos a few years ago, he's been screaming in my head to get out...



Over the last couple of days, I've torn the novella apart and figured out how to turn it into a novel. Other than the characters, there probably won't be much of the original story left...and tonight I started writing the book, and I cranked out more than 1200 words, which I don't think is too bad for my rusty brain and fingers.

Stayed tuned for more updates.

No comments: