Tuesday, October 31, 2006

MileHiCon Update 3-Sunday

After much sleep deprivation, it was time for the final day of the con. Sunday morning I went to a panel on pitching to an editor at a Con, which also talked a lot about pitching to an agent at a Con. It was all kind of common sense logic, but I still learned a few things from it.

At 11:00, Tyree had a panel called "E-Publishing and Zines." He was on the panel with fellow ProMartian/Sam's Dotian, Carol Hightshoe...as well as Graeme Davis and A.C. Ellis again. This one I basically went to because Tyree was there...I already know quite a bit on this subject, and half the time I felt like I was on the panel with the way Tyree kept asking me questions.

At noon, it was off to the dealers room for another signing. This one went pretty well. We definitely sold some book, and signed quite a bit. I really think Tyree will make a lot of money if he can get in the dealers' room next year. The dealers' room is almost always full, no matter the time, and people are definitely willing to spend money at this con.

At 1:00, Tyree had a panel called"Congratulation, It's an Anthology." This panel was moderated by Ed Bryant. If you're into speculative fiction at all, you should know Ed Bryant, and if you don't, I would suggest you get to know him! I had the chance to have dinner with him last year, and we went to a Henry Rollins show about a month after the con, and the man is just a wealth of information...and a really nice guy as well! I learned quite a bit about how anthologies are done in the major markets, and I think Ed had one of the best comments of the weekend. I don't remember exactly how he said it, so I'm paraphrasing...but he mentioned that he tried to avoid editing anthologies these days because his last anthology had the likes of Dan Simmons, Connie Willis, and other writers of that caliber...and how do you top that?

The last thing I went to was a reading by Rebecca Rowe and Glenn Lewis Gillette. Rebecca just released her first novel a few months ago, and I'd had the pleasure of seeing her read at the Tattered Cover here in Denver shortly after it came out. Her book Forbidden Cargo should be a must read. It's a fantastic first novel! I'd run into Rebecca several times during the Con, and she's just such a nice person that you feel like you have to support her. Josh, who was my entourage for the weekend had been intrigued by her book, and had purchased a copy, so we both figured we'd go hear her read.

That was the wrap-up of the Con. I'm ready for next year's convention already.

Keep in mind, pictures are up on my website, so head on over and check them out, and while you're there, buy a book or two...or three or more....

No comments: