Friday, March 10, 2006

Great first lines

Locus Magazine published a brief list of some of the best first lines in genre fiction, here were a few of my favorites...

"A screaming came across the sky."
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
"It was like so, but wasn't."
"All this happened, more or less."
"It was the day my grandmother exploded."
"It was a pleasure to burn"


You might recognize some of them, but damn, I wish I'd written one or two of them...

2 comments:

Keith said...

When I read the first line of Neuromancer about the color of the sky, it turned me back on to Science Fiction. I hadn't read anything except my old paperbacks - heinlein, dick, asimov, bradbury, vance, etc - for 20 years. I embraced the cyberpunks, Gibson, Shirley, and Rucker. All of them have faded over the last few years, but it got me reading new stuff again and eventually I started writing.
Now if Vernor Vinge would only write another novel I would be happy.

J Alan Erwine said...

Neuromancer was a great book, but I never really got into cyberpunk that much. Most of what I read felt like a pale imitation of Gibson. I don't read much epic fantasy either, because it all seems to be derivitaive of LotR.